Monday, June 11, 2012

Calabacitas
*I got this recipe idea from my friend Stephanie Scoville
Calabacitas means squash!


1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons crushed garlic
1 yellow onion, diced
4 zucchini, thinly sliced
(I wanted to use 2 zucchini and 2 yellow squash but I didn't have yellow squash so I used what I had.  But it would be better to have both types.)
1 can corn
2 cans diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted diced tomatoes) reserving one can of juice
1/2-3/4 cup monterey jack cheese (I used what I had on hand which was colby jack)

In large frying pan, heat olive oil on medium high then add garlic and onions and saute for a few minutes.  Add zucchini, corn and diced tomatoes with reserved can of juice.  Stir together and cover.  It took me about 8 minutes to get the right texture that I wanted for the zucchini but you can cook yours longer or shorter depending upon your liking. Salt and pepper. I scooped my portion out without adding the cheese so I could save a few calories.  This is soooo yummy without the cheese but my kids of course like things better WITH cheese.  So I added 1/2-3/4 cup cheese covered it and turned the heat off.  The cheese melted and I served it up for the kids.  My kids weren't excited about this meal, but they are still getting used to eating more veggies.  I think this would be wonderful with strips of chicken as well, if you want to add some meat to it.  Next time I think I will add another tablespoon of garlic and a little more onion since we love both of them so much.

Serves 6






No comments:

Post a Comment